Where to start on finishing a basement

C.CollierOctober 20, 2011

Well I am retiring after 22 years in the Army and we are moving to Alabama. The house we want is brand new and a great deal but they are going back and forth on finishing the basement. I am pretty handy with tools and I have stained concrete many times. So here is where I am stuck...

Where to start??? I intend on staining and sealing the concrete. The basement is 1500 sq ft with two drains and support walls running across the width. I want a bathroom, bedroom, 3 smaller rooms and a game room as well as a wet bar.

Do I start with the floors, then rough in walls, electrical and plumbing? Just seems so overwhelming right now. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

My suggestion whenever asked is to first make a plan to scale. Graph paper and a pencil is all one needs along with a tape to measure. Locate fixed items. Then your walls. I used masking tape placed on the floor to get a feel for spaces.

If staining the floor is your plan, yes I'd do that first after locating any plumbing that may require cutting into the concrete.

I'd put XPS against the foundation walls, then frame them. Then electricity before drywall or paneling. Consider lighting and a mix of cannisters, sconces, pendants and/or outlets for table lights. If you're planning a drywall ceiling do it before the walls or drop ceiling following the walls.

Here is a link to photos of ours. Maybe some ideas. We only finished about 700 sq. ft of approximatelyt 1,000. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
Flooring System over a basement
In my current house we used 16-18" deep floor...
AZN8TIV
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
1250sqft Basement heating question
This may be a crazy question as I have not found anything...
MCHammmer
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™