dampness/ water table
We've never had anything actually wet in our basement, but the humidity level is always high, @80%. The concrete floor has dark gray areas, and whenever anything sits on the floor for a few weeks, the floor underneath looks lighter when you remove the object.
The house is 9 years old, and was built a bit higher than our neighbors' because the water table is only 6-8 inches below our concrete basement floor.
Last year DH bought a dehumidifier which runs constantly, but it seems to me that the floor looks damper now than it did before. Could it be that while the dehumidifier is pulling water out of the air it's being constantly replaced from the endless supply of groundwater under the house?
If I'm right about the humidity levels being constantly replenished from the ground water,I'm thinking that perhaps the waterproofing/radon seal might be the wiser course than constantly running the dehumidifier. DH however, hates to spend $800 to buy enough of the radon seal we need for our big basement. We bought a radon pump a few years ago,because we discovered our radon level was slightly above acceptable levels, but I only run it during the night when we're asleep. I hate listening to the darn thing run all day long. I've found that my next door neighbors got tired of listening to theirs too.
Am I right about the water replenishment?
Has anyone else experience with the radon/waterseal product?