tips for installing balusters down basement steps

andrelaplume2October 12, 2010

This is nothing fancy and being done for safety sake and to make the stairway look better as we finish the basement. I think I'll have no problem installing the post at the bottom of the bottom of the stairs and conecting the new bannister to it. (Its a straight 12 step vertical run down...no turns).

After the new banister is up I understand I need some sort of balusters attached to each step (2- 3 per step?) that run vertically into the banister above. They sell primed balusters made of wood. I like the iron ones better but the are square and pricey. I was looking for something rounded. I saw a suggestion for balusters on the cheap that suggested using metal conduit. Its cheap and I need to paint whatever I use navy blue anyway so it would suffice. Supposedly you just drill holes in the steps and banister and insert the conduit. It sound simple but whether using the conduit or real balusters I am sure there are tips to making this go easy......any tips?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
earthworm

This depends so much on the quality of the basement and how often it is used. Does someone carry a laundry basket down these steps ? This event could dictate the design parameters.
A shame, I consider the basement a most important area, yet, for so many its for a perceived "second class" people...this concept I despise..

Bookmark   October 13, 2010 at 12:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andrelaplume2

yes laundry down the steps so please elaborate. I do not mean to imply I am being 'cheap' with my basement. I am doing it myself as funds are available. It is meant to eventually be a clean, safe environment for the kids to play shoot pool, watch tv and provide storage. To me it won't be 'rich' like some I've seen with bathrooms and bars etc etc. As far as the balusters, we have a typical set of step, though being 20 years old, they are of a nicer pine than I see in new homes. I want to leave them open, hence the need for balusters. Underneath the stairs will be open as well housing a desk and some storage. We hope to have a Yankees theme and thus want the balusers to act as pinstripes...thus some dowel like (conduit?) that can be painted navy blue.

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 12:38AM
More Discussions
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
lookintomyeyes83
ideas for basement?
Hoping some of you more creative people can help me...
Michael Oslosky
water in unfinished basement
Well its in the 50s here in NJ and the snow is melting....
hoganjr
Flooring System over a basement
In my current house we used 16-18" deep floor...
AZN8TIV
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
Sponsored Products
Vegetable Vine Rug 6' x 9'
$1,975.00 | Horchow
Glistening Ridge Rug 9' x 12' - LT BEIGE
$3,299.00 | Horchow
Floating Medallions Runner 2' 6" x 8' - SILVER
$239.00 | Horchow
Brushed Nickel Whitehaus WHOSA28SQ-8 8'' Rain Showerhead with Rubber Tips
$339.00 | Blue Bath
Ava Entertainment Chest
$1,759.00 | Horchow