epoxy finish on basement floor

rexgOctober 29, 2010

I want to put an epoxy finish on the basement floor in my shop area. Nothing fancy just something durable. Drywall is already up and the instruction says I need to clean floor with acid and then power wash. How can I do this without damaging the drywall. The house is 9 years old and the basement floor has never been painted or coated with a clear sealer of any type. I realize the floor needs to be clean of all grease before applying the epoxy finish but I do not want to damage the drywall.

Any Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grullablue

Thanks for the question....I recently posted (expansion joints/painting basement floor), and have been reading, too, that you should powerwash the floor prior to painting. Well, I, too, have drywall that could be damaged by splatter...and a furnace and other appliances that should not get wet! My floor is just like yours, not been painted or coated....

Bookmark   October 29, 2010 at 6:37PM
worthy

According to This Old House, power washing isn't a necessity.

Bookmark   October 29, 2010 at 9:55PM
hilltop_gw

I've done the epoxy on two different areas- our garage and in an enclosed stairway on an old house. Cleaning with the muratic acid etches the surface, but I didn't power wash either area. I just washed it good. The enclosed stairway I did was horrific, dirty and rough. I had removed old vinyl and cleaned it as best I could with the acid. The epoxy is still holding well. If you really want to protect the walls, just tape up some painters plastic.
Be sure to put the anti-slip crystals or flecks on the floor to provide grip; otherwise if it gets wet it's really slick. The clear anti-slip crystals (can't remember the proper name) are prickly on bare feet and make cleaning more difficult. The flecks are quick and easy but make it more difficult to find small objects that you might drop (ie pin, button, screw, etc.)

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 7:34PM
earthworm

Power washing can handle 80% of the task. Much depends on the basement size and access and the power washer.
Some water splatter will not hurt well painted drywall nor the heat unit.
The drywall bottom edge should never touch the floor - I'd go for a 1" gap, at least.
Have a helper dry things as you work. The anti-slip crystals.......definitely on the steps and concrete stairs. The flecks for the other surfaces...
This is one good forum.

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 11:51PM
rexg

I have a commerical floor buffer with several different scrub pads and considered using it with diluted muratic acid to scrub the floor and then mop several time with clear water. I could also use my dry/wet vac to remove the water. Would that handle the floor prep? Do I just clean the floor once with the acid or is this a multiple application process? I'm afraid that the power washer would give me more water then I could handle.

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 12:44PM
More Discussions
New Home Build - window size for drywall?
Apologies if this has been asked before - can't seem...
lookintomyeyes83
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
lookintomyeyes83
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
Sponsored Products
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Bungalow Flooring Rugs WaterGuard Red/Black Lawn/Garden
Home Depot
Pallucco | Fortuny Rubelli Floor Lamp
YLighting
Smoke Chandelier by Moooi
$1,266.00 | Lumens
Medium Butterfly Bench
$3,725.00 | Horchow
Brown LED Twig - Set of Three
$12.99 | zulily