Is there such a thing as a portable/temporary sump pump?

artemis78October 14, 2010

If so, what is it called?

We have a small section of our basement that gets 3-4 inches of standing water when we have very heavy rains (2-3x/year at most). Obviously we could put a sump pump in, but the previous owner successfully addressed water in the rest of the basement with a new drainage system (and then we bought the house before the first rainy season, so they hadn't been able to test its efficacy), so we have been working on the system of french drains outside this small area to try to adjust the trenches to stop the water. So---we would prefer not to dig into the foundation for a sump pump if, in theory, we'll soon successfully get the drainage right and would no longer need it. (Challenge is that it's only tested a couple times a year, so we have to wait a season to see how effective our tweaks are!)

But---we just moved our furnace into the small room with water issues (long story, but on balance a better place for the furnace). It's on a platform that should put it above the water line even when we do get water there, but we want a backup system in place until the drainage is 100% squared away.

Is there such a thing as a temporary pump that would work like a sump pump (be plugged in and ready to go, be automatically triggered, and be effective enough without the deep basin)? Are there other good mobile or inexpensive solutions for moderate, occasional water problems? (We do have some notice since the flooding is only with heavy rains at the end of a long period of rain, so it could also be something that would get put in place in advance.)

Would love any ideas, as we want to be sure we don't fry the new furnace! We have about another month before the first rains of the season are likely to start, so not a huge amount of time. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You can pick up a 1/6 hp submersible utility pump for well under a G note. For one with an automatic switch, expect to pay a bit more than that. (These are often used to take the water off the top of inground pool covers.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Utililty pumps

    Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 4:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Sorry, I meant C note.

    Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 8:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks! We ended up getting a Little Giant submersible utility pump that will be triggered by 3" of water, well below the edge of the furnace platform---little more than a C note, but well under a G note. ;) Assuming it works, should be practically perfect, with no need for a sump hole.

    Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 10:53PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
water in unfinished basement
Well its in the 50s here in NJ and the snow is melting....
making the crawl space more useful?
My house has a (vented) crawl space between 2 and 3'...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™