enclosing air handler etc

andrelaplume2October 14, 2010

My new heat pump was installed. There is a wall on one side already. The back abuts a stairway and I plan to box that in as well as the other side. Thus is will be walled in on 3 sides and I am going to put sliding dors in the front so it is fully accessible.

Since this is not a boiler but rather a heat pump, do I need to drywall the INSIDE of this area?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

If this is an air source heat pump--most likely as they are the most common--it may not be advisable to enclose it as it uses the air as a heat source or sink. Check the manual, manufacturer's website or technical line or your supplier before enclosing it.

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 8:54AM
andrelaplume2

Thanks worthy, I'll double check..it is a hp. I did ask the salesman who sold it to me who said it could be enclosed and in fact said he'd come back and put a return thru my wall into the unit when I 'finished' my basement...that was year ago!

Still I'll double check. Would drywall be necesary both inside and out?

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 10:44PM
worthy

Enclosure is probably not the best description. You can surround it as long as you leave sufficient room for ventilation. See, for instance, the answer by this energy supplier.

Drywall around any return would look more finished. Certainly, drywall isn't suitable for exterior use.

Bookmark   October 22, 2010 at 4:47PM
andrelaplume2

I think I confused you. I am talking about the part of the heat pump that resides in the house...in the basement.

Bookmark   October 22, 2010 at 10:11PM
worthy

Oh well. It can't hurt to post a hopefully helpful answer to a question that wasn't asked.

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 8:04AM
lazypup

For operation, enclosing the unit is no problem providing you provide a louvered door or dedicated return air ducting so the air can get into the unit, however you MUST make sure that you leave sufficient access for maintenance, including removing the fan/motor assembly.

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 9:45PM
More Discussions
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
What kind of ceiling to do?
We are wanting to finish out basement rustic/lodge...
jencox5508
upgrade R11 to R13 insulation in basement?
We are in the process of remodeling our basement. We...
Desirun2
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™