Need help identifying age/ retailer 'Ellis' on Japy Frares clock.

stuartbe2012May 14, 2012

Hello,

i have an old clock,

on the mechanism is a stamp written "Japy Frares & C - G Med. D'Honneur" could anyone please give me some information regarding the age of the clock mechanism from this stamp?

also on the face of the clock is the retailers name "Ellis" i have searched the internet far and wide and the only thing i can find that slightly matches is "Tiffany, Young & Ellis". does anyone by any chance have any info on the retailer "Ellis",

all you help would be very much appreciated,

i would upload some images but im not sure how to on this post,

thanks again,

Stu

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

"Japy Freres & Cie Grd Med. D'Honneur." means it (the movement) was mads some time AFTER the company (Japy Freres) won the Grand Medal of Honor (which they did at the Paris exhibition in 1855) ... they also won a medal in 1867 - what is the date on that stamp?

Japy founded one of the first mass-production clockworks factories, and sold just the movements to various companies who put the works into clocks of theiur design ... and then the clocks were sold on to others who often had them marked with their shop names.

Thus you can have a clock with a movement marked Japy, case marked by John Doe, and the whole thing marked "Baily, Banks and Biddle".

They were usually sold to high-end case makers and eventually sold by posh retailers, so they are well worth tracking down.

Pictures of the clock and the marks would help narrow the date a bit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japy Freres

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 3:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

The "Ellis" of Tiffany, Young and Ellis retired before Japy won the medal, so it's not that Ellis.

That leaves you a lot of possible small jewelers and shops who could have sold it in the US, Canada, or the UK ...

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 4:00PM
More Discussions
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
Wanted: Blue Bonnet Margarine Vintage Dolls
I've been collecting the Blue Bonnet Margarine promotional...
beckame
Early Masons Vista Pink Soup Tureen
Hello! I have inherited a great deal of Masons vista...
aeb78
Mystery Lamp Company
Hello. I am trying to find out information about the...
debragcar
Japanese Vase
I just got this vase at street sale would like to know...
Dones
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™