exterior waterproofing

columbusgardenerOctober 7, 2007

Here is my situation:

The western wall of my home is always hit with the most amount of rain water. It then dips off the exterior in the general vicinity of the wall as well. When we built I never thought about the water that might be absorbed in the space between the first floor and the waterproofing at the soil line. We are considering finishing the basement and while we have never had any water problems I think it might be in our best interests to waterproof the outside.

I have thought that a drip ledge installed right on top of the waterproofing materials and then putting an exterior grade waterproof paint on the exposed masonry block. Does this sound about right? Anyone have any suggestions as to what "paint" is the best for this kind of project?

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lovelycherry

Most interior water is the result of improper grading on the exterior of the house. Could be your guttering system needs to be tweaked to take the water further from your foundtion.
Go outside during a rain storm and take a good look as to what is going on.
Is your water table low? if so this would be another cause and require a sump pump, but I suspect this is not the case.

The slope on the outside of your house may just need to be adjusted. Easy to fix and no need to dig up the foundation soil.

Bookmark   October 11, 2007 at 8:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
columbusgardener

actually there is no real water - just when we have a shower the space between the house and the grade line gets wet I can see where it could be a problem. Below the grade there is no dampness - and I have never had the sump pump turn on.

Bookmark   October 12, 2007 at 7:31PM
More Discussions
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
Flooring System over a basement
In my current house we used 16-18" deep floor...
AZN8TIV
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™