Glycera's (aka Margaret's) bathroom

glyceraJuly 19, 2005

Some photos of my new bathroom (still have to hang prints on the bare walls). ---Margaret

View from the "front" door; another door leads to the laundry room. The mirror in the center is fixed, but the two side mirrors belong to recessed medicine cabinets. The lights are fluorescents; they're a little larger (wider) than I had hoped for, but were the closest to my mental image that I could find. The countertop is Swanstone "Prairie Clover", with an integral sink, and the faucet/dispensers are KWCs. One dispenser is for soap, the other for mouth wash; both are hooked up to NeverMTs. The custom vanity is finished in laminate. Â Â Â Â Â Â In one of the medicine cabinets I had an outlet installed so I could keep the electric toothbrush off the countertop. (If you want to do this, the electrician needs to know it during the roughing-in stage.)

Here's a closer view of the vanity fixtures. This faucet (KWC Domo) has a pull-out feature (but no spray), sort of a junior version of a kitchen faucet.

Â

In addition to the outlet inside the medicine cabinet, I had the electrician install one behind the vanity so I could mount a power strip inside one of the drawers, for the hair dryer (and who knows what else?). Here's a view of the bathroom from the laundry door; the tub/shower is to the left. My eccentric choice of wallpaper, border, and rug reflect the fact that I'm a biologist (or did I need to tell you?). The bluish half-moon in the ceiling is part of the 14" Solatube, and the circle in the small counter next to the toilet is for trash, which drops into a plastic grocery bag suspended by its handles from four cup hooks inside the cabinet.

This is a one-piece (yay! no seams) MAAX Maestro tub/shower. The fittings are all Grohe: on the right wall, a Relaxa Plus hand shower, which is just visible, and a Freehander on the left wall. There's also a cedar seat on the left side, hidden by the shower curtains. The two-tile mural of the frog I attached myself.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snowbaby

Your bathroom looks beautiful! I wish I had thought about the extra outlets. I hate clutter. And I think your waste "basket" idea is a stroke of genius! It's not too late for me to add that to my bath (unless you hold the patent :).

Bookmark   July 24, 2005 at 3:49PM
glycera

Snowbaby --- Patent is pending (LOL!), but in the meantime go ahead and use the idea. You've heard about "necessity is the mother of invention"? Well, I spent a lot of time looking for a wastebasket of a size that would fit exactly into the space available. Then I thought, "Heck, I always line the bathroom waste basket with a plastic bag anyway, why not just hang the bag in there?" Pleased with my ingenuity, I spent several hours researching various types of special plastic bag holders on the Web, until it struck me, "Duh... All I really need are four cup hooks on which to hang the handles!" (but I did get nice, plastic-covered ones). Now I wonder how much money I've spent on gadgets for the rest of my remodeled home that have equally simple, inexpensive solutions....?

---Margaret

Bookmark   July 24, 2005 at 7:09PM
dodge1959

Hello Margaret. I was gonna remodel my master bath, but I think I will update the bathroom on the 1st floor 1st. Everybody sees that bathroom and only we see the master.
This bathroom has no windows, so I was thinking about installing a Solatube with the vent built in and the vent motor outside. I live in S Calif so Plenty of Sunshine,(It Never Rains in Southern California), LOL. How do you like your Solatube?

Thanks

Gary

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 3:30PM
More Discussions
Bath fan dilemma
Looking for other options for bath fan/heater/light/nightlight....
gramarows
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
Has anyone seen an interior door handle like this in the States?
Sorry for the link but I couldn't find an image to...
ceezeecz
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
Trying to reconfigure master bath to include washer dryer
How does this layout look? how could I make this space...
cinnamon01
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™