HELP with tricky half bath layout

codnuggetsJuly 18, 2006

My first post. I see there is a lot of great advice offered up here so I thought I'd give it a shot. I am planning a kitchen remodel which will include trying to squeeze in a half bath. It's actually a necessity because it's the only bathroom on the main floor, and currently it's just a toilet in a 30 x 55 crackerbox with no sink. The house was built in 1923, and I'm trying to avoid altering the exterior framing to make my life easier. With that in mind, I came up with this layout.

The left, right, and bottom walls are all exterior walls. The door and windows on the left and bottom are existing. The bottom window is over 4 feet off the floor so privacy is not an issue. The kitchen cabinets back up to the top wall which also includes the bathroom entry door. The sink is tucked into the lower right corner and would likely need to be a shallow wall mount or pedestal which I have no issue with since it's just a powder room. The only additional space I could include in the bathroom is about 6 inches or so to the narrow dimension, but I don't see that it would gain me anything and I'd rather have the extra room in the kitchen.

So that leaves me with a rather strange L-shaped plan with 2 entries - one interior and one exterior, and 2 windows - one standard size and height near the sink and one small and high near the toilet. The exterior openings all face an attached deck, so I'm not at all unhappy with their placement. Will this layout work? Any suggestions for improvement?

Thanks for the input.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nherold

You have inadvertently posted in the Gallery section. Repost this in the On-Topic discussions and you are sure to get some answers.

Bookmark   December 20, 2006 at 4:46PM
More Discussions
Shower Size OK?
We're in the middle of a renovation of our master suite...
ntrainer
What do you think about tiling the ceiling of the shower?
This dovetails with previous posts where I've discussed...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Help locating a Powder Bath sink, please!
We are in the final days of a year long remodel only...
soonermagicmama
Do I really need a steam shower?
We are in the process of finalizing plans for redoing...
attygirl
Do offset sinks make you crazy?
in our new house build, I am thinking of doing an offset...
zorroslw1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™