Basement Wall Not Below Grade...

matt_rOctober 8, 2007

I think I am unsure about this one...some comments I read on a prior post. On one side of the basement, there is a concrete block wall that is NOT below grade (walk out basement side)...can this use regular roll batt insulation. I am gutting the basement, and can leave this wall alone if this is OK. I currently has batt insulation with a poly vapor barrier clear plastic sheeting. Do all this moisture issues go away for a wall that is not below grade? But I am not sure what issues the concrete block creates in regards to moisture...??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brewbeer

During demo, will you be removing the drywall? if so, check it to make sure there is no mold, rot or condensation. If there is, I would demo it and rebuild as recommended in the Building Science Corp article linked in the recent thread.

Bookmark   October 8, 2007 at 8:04AM
worthy

Unfaced batt insulation is acceptable according to Building Science Corp.

Bookmark   October 8, 2007 at 12:51PM
matt_r

In reading that...it seems all the discussion is about below grade, no? Now there is craft faced insulation, with a poly vapor barrier on top of that.

Is poly good in the regular part of the house. For some rooms I have renovated, I have been using poly vapor barriers...because this I thought was the superior method???

Bookmark   October 8, 2007 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™