My Spa Inpsired Bath

bradleyjJuly 16, 2008

I WAS going to remodel my kitchen, but my GF nixed that, insisting instead that my tiny, 4x8 (plus tub) vintage, original 1948 pink and baby blue bathroom go -- pronto! So it gave way to a spa-inspired, slightly enlarged 7x8 (plus shower) retreat - I scavenged an adjacent closet. My home is a 1000 square foot home in the Hollywood Heights conservation district of Dallas.

They say remodels cost twice as much and take 3 times as long as planned. Close. The demo began April 3 and was supposed to be done by May 7. The finishing touch (shower doors) was installed July 1, 2008. I estimated $25,000 and spent $37,000, including a $4000 "Ooops, my bad" contractor misbid on the plumbing in the signed contract. I bought nearly all supplies, fixtures and components myself, 95% online. NO problems!! This included:

Showerguard 3/8" glass doors

Soapstone floors from Vermont Soapstone

Glass mosaic tile - Winter Blend - Colorways, from Mosaictilesuplies.com

Scaraboo Tsunami sink (by Nameeks) - Homeclick.com

Duravit Caro toilet and Gerebit carrier - eBay

Stiebl Eltron electric tankless heater

Sun Touch radiant floor heating - Home Depot

Jaclo Cubix collection shower fixtures, bath acessories, and rain showerhead - Chicagofaucets

Teak shower bench - Mr. Steam

Teak accessories - Teak4u

Hansgrohe Axor faucets - plumbersurplus

Panasonic Whisper Warm vent/heat/light - plumbersurplus

ItalBrass - soap dish and toilet brush - Ira Woods

Watermark mirror - Homeclick

lighting - Bellacor

Enjoy

Here is a link that might be useful: Pepto Bismal Palace

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dedtired

Oh. My. God. I am in love. What more can I say. I am so happy that you shared the details, because I will definitely be stealing your ideas. I adore the sink, your tiles and the teak fold-up bench. I've been wondering how to get a bench in a small shower stall. Now I know.

Kudos.

Do the folks on the Conversations side know this is here?? You really should point it out.

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 1:07PM
sundownr

You've done a beautiful job! Love your fixtures. So please tell me about the soapstone floors. I recently had soapstone on my kitchen island, but floors? And how do you like your rain showerhead? I am finishing a kitchen and may be starting a bathroom and most likely will use some of your ideas. Thanks!

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 3:20PM
bradleyj

THX!!

Soapstone is perfect for a bathroom floor, or at least it was for mine. First, when wet it doesn't get slippery - it gets almost positively sticky! Second, for heated floors, it absorbs and holds the heat very, very well and releases it slowly. That's why they use it for ovens and stoves. And finally, I liked the look as-is (unoiled) for the bath. The light-medium gray went well with the white and gray and teak color scheme I wanted

The rain shower is PHENOMENAL!! A completely different, and relaxing, shower experience. I went high-end and got a Jaclo shower head and while fanfreakintastic, not sure it was worth the 7-8 X price premium over a Hansgrohe etc rain shower head. ALSO, I would advise going with a tankless water heater with one, because I find myself staying in the shower much longer to enjoy the shower and you will need that endless supply of hot water! =:-)

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 8:53AM
annkathryn

Wow this is a gorgeous bath. I love the tile - all the different sizes add interest and look so good together. Very nice job - congrats.

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 4:21PM
dcclerk

I absolutely love your bathroom. Thank you for sharing such details. It really helps to also know where you bought so much of it! I found this posting when I went on a search for Duravit, and it really has a look that I like. One question not answered in your very detailed material list is your bathroom door. I like the clean lines very much. Do you know what kind it is? Thanks so much!

Bookmark   August 28, 2008 at 1:04PM
bradleyj

THX! The door is actually the original 1948 3-panel door, just converted to a pocket door. The pocket door framing hardware was from Johnson Hardware (available online). The door latch/lock mechanicals are from Von Morris, purchase from a local hardware supplier but also available online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Von Morris pocket door hardware

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 7:56PM
jillthoner

I'm so sad that I can't see the pics! I even upgraded my browser just to see them and it still won't work. I just see "My Gallery" with a black background. :(

Bookmark   August 31, 2008 at 12:01PM
bradleyj

Hmmm.. Let me try posting them directly then, starting with a couple of "pre" photos.

Bookmark   September 3, 2008 at 6:23PM
chrystyne731

Wow! That is awesome. I love your sink too.

Bookmark   September 24, 2008 at 8:27AM
Jean Bo

I really like your bathroom, do you like the Jaclo Cubix fixtures? I really like the contemporary style and considering it for my shower. Please let me know.

Bookmark   February 3, 2009 at 12:47AM
bradleyj

I love them - one of my favorite things in the bathroom. However, they are ridiculously expensive and if I had to do it again may have gone for lesser $$$. It was my first ever remodel project, so I went overboard ...huh, wonder how that happened?

Bookmark   February 10, 2009 at 2:54PM
ashleysf

I love, love, love your bathroom and I am going to save your pictures as an inspiration for my remodel. Great job, well done. Can't wait to see your kitchen remodel :) May I ask what the brand of the sconces are? Again, wow!

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 2:07AM
bradleyj

THX!

I got the sconces from Bellacour on the web. Unfortunately, I don't remember the brand now, and threw away the boxes a year ago!!

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 2:40PM
july3feb2

Wow...just wow!!!!! Can't wait to see the kitchen remodel one day haha!

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
TIGHT Space for Mirrors (Between the Light Fixture and Backsplash) :(
We are coming into the home stretch. Although there...
Monrovia Mom
Which latricrete products for full shower build?
I'm a bit confused about all the various Latricrete...
cataan
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
Toilets, anyone?
Ten years ago we put in the Toto Ultramax after reading...
anniel58
Sponsored Products
Superior Collection Luxurious Egyptian Cotton Bath Towels (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
Minka Lavery Bellasera Mediterranean Bath Vanity Light
1800Lighting
Whitehaus WHE213BTSS Wall Hung Stainless Steel Vanity
$759.00 | Blue Bath
Black My Garage Personalized Wall Sign
$19.99 | zulily
Fima by Nameeks S3537/1 Single Handle Pull Down Kitchen Faucet - S3537/1CR
$917.92 | Hayneedle
60" Trevett Double Vanity for Undermount Sinks - Cherry
Signature Hardware
Northport Three Light LED Bath Fixture In Satin Nickel