Contractor costs?

brlbJune 27, 2006

I am planning to remodel my bath & very small half bath. I am buying all the materials myself but am not doing any of the labor. Basically the bathrooms have to be completely redone, except for the wall tiles that are remaining. We are getting new plumbing (toilets, sinks, refacing the tub, new faucets, floors, vanity). The layouts of the baths are remaining the same. Any ideas about how much contractor could charge for the job? I am very confused!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bici

This was EXACTLY how our project began. One full bath and one half-bath, both fairly small. We didn't move any plumbing, replace the tiles, or the tub. However, we did add some electrical outlets and replace the flooring. (See the pix of our finished main bath on my thread below.)

We purchased all the fixtures and accessories, and subcontracted the floor and countertops. Our GC bid $3500 for both jobs, but seriously underestimated how much time and work this job would entail. Later he told us he lost a lot of money on the job. We did expand the scope, and some other changes brought the final job to $4500.

Depending on the region you live in and whether you are in a large city or smaller market, I would expect the contractor's fees to be under $10,000 for both baths. You are providing the fixtures (where normally the contractor makes his profit).

When you are going over the contract with him, set some sort of timetable for the major portions of the job, and if there are changes or delays, put these in writing and both of you sign off on them. Verbal agreements can backfire on you.

And be prepared for unexpected delays (for us, it was illness on both sides, and a sewer backup into the bathroom which had just been refloored.) If these are truly no one's fault, the GC should not be penalized.

Hope that helps!

Bookmark   June 28, 2006 at 2:17PM
outwest

We are paying $8200 to the GC for a 7X9 bathroom, but that includes
demolition and removal of everything including all the tile
framing in a new window
installing sconces
installing 2 can ceiling lights
a 66" semicustom cabinet
a small wall 19 inches wide between the tub and the cabinet
framing two recessed medicine cabinets
installing an exhaust fan through to the roof (there isn't one now)
adding plumbing for two sinks (there is only one now)
framing in and getting ready for tiling a large bathtub adding the shower-(there isn't one now).
All associated plumbing
Adding another electrical switch for the fan and can lights
installing a full cabinet length mirror
removing all the plaster, smoothing and either drywall or plastering smooth (it has big ugle swirly things now)
Painting

We are purchasing:
bathtub
two sinks
mirror
medicine cabinets
paint
faucets
bathtub drain
bathtub spout
shower fixture
tile
granite or marble (our fabricator who is doing our kitchen is just giving us our bathroom granite/marble for the cabinet top for free if we will choose one of his many left over pieces:)We choose tomorrow)
reusing toilet
a new toilet seat
towel racks, etc.
the exhaust fan and ducting
And paying the tile guy separately

We budgeted $12,500 with all the labor for the tile. We are coming in below our budget by about a thousand dollars.

Bookmark   October 28, 2006 at 1:20AM
abwhitney

wow, i realize this is 4 years later, but for a full and 3/4 bath remodel our quotes are around $23,000. And that's not counting vanity, toilet, tile or grout materials. makes me wonder. we're in massachusetts though. maybe labor is more expensive?

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 7:37AM
More Discussions
Vanity from CabinetDIY - FYI
Just an FYI: we started to build the vanity from a...
melle_sacto
Tile vs Granite on Face of Shower Bench?
I'm nearing completion on the remodel of my guest bathroom....
swguru
Faux Carrera on floor and in shower, what countertop?
Love the look of all marble bathrooms but I don't have...
rpk1
TIGHT Space for Mirrors (Between the Light Fixture and Backsplash) :(
We are coming into the home stretch. Although there...
Monrovia Mom
Trying to Match.....
I am trying to match a set of Dornbracht Madison lav....
Patricia Kuehne
Sponsored Products
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Hunter Conroy 42 in. Onyx Bengal Ceiling Fan 51023
Home Depot
Dove Gray Triton High Back Chair
Cost Plus World Market
Drop Ceiling Tiles: Fasade Building Materials Dome - 2 ft. x 2 ft. Lay-in
$4.78 | Home Depot
Kenroy Home Lamps Knox 30 in. Bronze Table Lamp 32182BRZ
Home Depot
CS065 LED Channel System
EnvironmentalLights.com