help ID this jar

jesse_2008May 11, 2010

hope these pictures showed up . Can someone please help ID this jar. The wording I believe is Danish, and thats as far as I got. Please Help Sorry about the quality of the pictures. The inscription reads

De Moolenaar.

Den.Heemel geeft, wie vangd die heeft

Staat imands Moolen wel gedraatd

Eyn wicken worden wel bewaaid

En't werek van nooddriift word bedreeven

Wie deddt'er aan Genaade nits,

Die toegekeerd van herten is,

Naa't Eeirwig onophoud'lickGeeven. If I mis spelled anything, My apologies. Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ideefixe

The language is Dutch. The engraving is by Jan Luyken, and the poem is about De Moolenaar, or the miller. Looks like it held jam, preserves, etc.

Rubylane has a series of Delft tiles based on his engravings of various craftsmen, jobs, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: RubyLane Delft

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 9:49AM
sunnyca_gw

Windmills give it away that it is Dutch!! Unless you understand the Dutch language! I took German & it didn't look quite like that(what little I remember) someone came on & told me what my saying on German stein was so maybe they can figure out what this one is saying. Good Luck!

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 1:32AM
Ideefixe

Here's a link to the poem, in rough web-translation.

Here is a link that might be useful: The mill Zandweg

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 11:13AM
sunnyca_gw

Funny & interesting!! I think my shoulder is 'genkeused " too!! Damaged it from carrying heavy purse strap on it- that is a great word to describe it!!I have a book somewhere in my house that I am 1/2 through reading about kids & animals on a boat after dykes(dikes) broke. This person needs a little better understanding of English language!! Reminds me of some of my foreign students & their fractured English but they do well as it is very difficult to figure out-read this book, I read a book. Same word, 2 meanings.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 3:20AM
jesse_2008

This is the mark thats on the bottom of the Jar. Does anyone reconize the mark.Sorry about the picture.I'm working on getting a better camera. You know this is a great site, I just wish I knew just half as much as all of you, you all have been very helpful

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 4:31AM
Ideefixe

Sunnyca, the translation wasn't done by a human--it's computer generated.
How big is the jar?

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 9:01AM
lindac

I can't see the mark....but the bottom looks like a glass jar....how does the lid go on? Does it have sort of a rubber gasket or does it just sit on?

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 9:48AM
jesse_2008

The Jar is 6 1/4" tall w/lid, it has a plastic gasket around the rim of the jar, the lid slides in and sits on top, the rim of the jar is 3 1/8" hope this helps

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 1:09PM
lindac

My gut says it's not old at all and was originally sold with jam or mustard in it.
Linda c

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 1:24PM
More Discussions
Haviland France Limoge Covered Veg. Bowl
I have a lovely Haviland veggie bowl here but I can't...
Llweyn
Can anyone identify this nightstand?
This nightstand was my grandmas and was given to me...
Michael Potter
Name on artwork
I just got this photo today, have you ever hear of...
Dones
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
name on vase
Have any one seen this name before on a small vase,...
Dones
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™