How close to a house corner can a walk-out bulkhead be?

marcoloSeptember 28, 2010

1924 2+ story single family house with a poured concrete foundation.

I want to change an existing basement walk-out because it interferes with a kitchen layout. The best place to relocate it, with minimum disruption to services , etc., is the rear corner of the house, starting about a foot from the corner of the house.

This location was suggested by an architect who visited the house. I questioned whether a bulkhead could be located so close to the corner; he said it would be fine.

In gathering estimates, I was told by the owner of a company specializing in excavating and building bulkheads that you can't have a bulkhead that close to a basement corner, due to the load on the foundation at that point. He thought it was against code.

The architect says no, it's not against code, and it's fine.

Who is right? Code aside (which I can research), is putting a bulkhead in the corner a good idea or not?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

An actual analysis and calculation if the loads may be required.

Corners tend to concentrate ground loading and the AHJ may want to be more cautious than the architect.

The size and strength of the footers, and the allowable bearing load on the soil under the footers may also come into play.

Absent proof they are larger than the minimum required when the house was built, that is the value that will be used.

The soil load can be another source of uncertainty in the calculation.

Bookmark   October 3, 2010 at 11:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sue36

Ours is near a corner, but the bulkhead walls were poured with the basement walls, so it is all one unit.

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
upgrade R11 to R13 insulation in basement?
We are in the process of remodeling our basement. We...
Desirun2
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Naween
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
What kind of ceiling to do?
We are wanting to finish out basement rustic/lodge...
jencox5508
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™