Block foundation leaking - can see daylight between blocks

valzone5September 10, 2008

I am considering buying a house that has a concrete block foundation. The basement has some wetness in it from the last heavy rain storm that we had. You can see daylight between some of the concrete blocks. I can't get a contractor to return my phone calls to get an estimate or idea of what it would take to repair the foundation (too much work & not enough contractors in our area - they turn work away).

I know that it's impossible to give me a definite idea as to what I am facing without seeing the basement....but can anyone tell me if this is *likely* going to be a very expensive repair. Can the mortar be replaced from the inside? I assume that waterpoofing from inside is impossible.

I live in the northeast (above Maine) - very cold winters, with lots of snow that melts in spring.

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hendricus

You need a handyman or a retired person that only does small jobs.

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 1:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

Look under "foundation repair", make some calls, and tell them about it. Make sure you tell them it's block. Usually they want to see it first, but maybe they'll be of some help if you tell them your situation. One important consideration is how much "displacement" there is (if any), which means movement of the wall on both sides of the opening.

Probably you would need to excavate (dig) outside to repair properly. A concrete guy that does foundations might also be the one to call. Let them know you want waterproofing applied, too.

If they have to dig, I'd guess $2000 and or more for one small area, but it's just a guess, and that doesn't include making the yard pretty once it's filled in. As always, things can be discovered to make the job bigger.

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 1:43PM
More Discussions
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
lookintomyeyes83
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
Basement wall insulation
Hello, I live in a 1952 English bungalow in Chicago...
kmalladi
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
New Home Build - window size for drywall?
Apologies if this has been asked before - can't seem...
lookintomyeyes83
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™