What is the safest way to remove....

kickypantsSeptember 10, 2009

I am removing old linolium from the the basement cement floor. What is the safest and easiest way to get the old glue off the cement? It is in a small bathroom which is next to the furnace so fumes are a concern...

Once the floor is removed, what is the best flooring to put down to cover a cement floor in a basement bathroom?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

See the website in the link for the appropriate removal methods. The removal methods are OSHA recommended.

If the linoleum is from before the early 1980s, it--and the mastic adhering it to the floor--very likely contain asbestos and can be safely removed as per the Institute recommendations. Or they can be safely covered.

Here is a link that might be useful: Resilient Floor Covering Institute

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 6:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cathy2012

I have 2 layers of vinyl on our basement floor and it was recommended to leave it. we put laminate flooring over it and the guy said that we the vinyl was helpful as a vapor barrier. But, you can't put more vinyl on top of 2 layers (or so I've been told) so it does depend on what you're going to do. I love laminated flooring, but they say not for basements. We had our bathroom tiled, and it is holding up well. since it was a small spot, I was able to get tile on sale.

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 3:28PM
More Discussions
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
water leakage under drywall in basement
We just bought a new home. Originally built in 1907,...
newhomeseattle
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™