Tips on getting drywall in basement

where_am_iSeptember 26, 2006

I have discovered it will be next to impossible to get a full sheet of drywall down my steps, around the corner and into my basement. At first I was thinking I could cut the sheets down. I am pretty sure I will be hiring out the taping and mudding portion, but I would think less seams would always be better, even if a pro does it. My next thought is to go through a window. I have a 6' wide casement window that needs to be replaced anyhow. Is there such a window that can be removed and have the full width available?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

Are you doing this as a one person job? I had to do the same thing and the orange "panel carry" tool sold at Home Depot was great for this. I won't say it was easy, but at least it let's you hold the panel "lower" as you go down the steps and maneuver.

And "next to impossible" is still way better than cutting them. If you haven't done so, you might want to get a helper and actually find out.

Bookmark   September 27, 2006 at 3:42PM
jasper_60103

Instead of cutting the sheets down, I heard that you can score one side and snap, but don't break apart. This allows you to maneuver a sheet of drywall around corners. Since the paper remains intact on one side, no additional seams.

Bookmark   September 27, 2006 at 3:54PM
fnmroberts

I was able to trim the sheets to their necessary height for my walls, then make the turn in the steps. One sheet at a time but it worked. For the ceiling, I purchased 12' sheets, then cut them into 5' and 7' sections, staggering my butt joints.

One of my neighbors removed his family room carpet, then a section of sub floor. Dropped the drywall down and reinstalled the carpet. Clever solution.

Bookmark   September 28, 2006 at 9:23AM
Dieter2NC

Don't listen to the dumbaxx about scoring the back of the sheet.

Bookmark   October 23, 2006 at 3:21PM
jasper_60103

yo momma's a dumbaxx! jerk!

Bookmark   October 23, 2006 at 8:22PM
bus_driver

If full 4 x 8 sheets will not fit through the passageway available, then cut as necessary to get them down there. But I would try to store the sheets elsewhere as full sheets and cut/carry as each piece is installed. Slower perhaps, but some cut pieces needed for specific locations might be able to be moved in to the basement while the same piece might not yield from a piece 4 x 4 or 2 x 8 if all the sheets were precut. For example, suppose you needed a 3 x 5 at one place. If both 4 x 4 and 2 x 8 can be carried to the basement, then cutting as they are installed makes even more sense. Cut whichever is best for the particular place in the basement.

Bookmark   October 25, 2006 at 7:27AM
More Discussions
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
water leakage under drywall in basement
We just bought a new home. Originally built in 1907,...
newhomeseattle
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
Flooring System over a basement
In my current house we used 16-18" deep floor...
AZN8TIV
upgrade R11 to R13 insulation in basement?
We are in the process of remodeling our basement. We...
Desirun2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™