Ideas on selling an old journal

omi496May 20, 2010

I have a hard covered, handwritten journal by NYC Firefighters dated September 1896 to January 1897. The entries were of the daily activities in a NYC firehouse. I prefer not to deal with E-bay, have donated several to museums, contacted sellers of firefighting collectables and memorabilia via the internet to no success. I would like to sell this one. How do I reach interested persons? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Consider making high-resolution scans of the pages and selling it as a book on LuLu.com

If you add some photos from that era and some commentary you could have an interesting book and make more than selling the book itself would bring.

Then you can donate it to a museum and take the tax deduction, and keep selling the books.

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 12:10PM
omi496

Thank you for the suggestion.

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 12:39PM
jen2006

There are many who collect old journals, and probably alot of people who collect old firefighting memorbilia. I bet someone like that would love to have it. I'd do an online search for those types of collectors and approach them that way, let them know what you have. Also, do some reasearch on similar items to find out what yours is worth, or get it appraised by someone who deals with those things.

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 9:42AM
cyn427

Also, check through the entries for anything that might be of historical or social interest (something akin to the 1911 Triangle shirtwaist factory fire or a call to the home of an important person of the era). Anything like that could spark an interest in the journal.

Bookmark   May 24, 2010 at 2:25PM
jemdandy

Contact a genealogical or historical society in New York City.

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 1:47AM
More Discussions
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
jacqueline9CA
Haviland France Limoge Covered Veg. Bowl
I have a lovely Haviland veggie bowl here but I can't...
Llweyn
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
Help identifying Bowl
I have had this Bowl for some time, i can't seem to...
Dones
Antique Bell evaluation
Hi, I have this antique bell. Can anyone tell me what...
Shay Yakobi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™