Cutting/Jackhammering Basement for Drain

danielj_2009September 11, 2011

Hi. I need to run an interior French drain to my sump in the basement. I'll probably install a new sump, too. I had someone come in to do an estimate, and they said they use a jackhammer instead of saw to minimize dust. I decided I would like to make this a DIY project, but I'm unable to find specific enough information anywhere online about removing the existing concrete floor. I have two concerns:

1. Do I need to precut/score a line maybe 12" away from the wall with a diamond saw so that I can jackhammer up to this line, or can I just roughly jackhammer out the 12" channel? I don't want to crack the floor beyond the 12", but it would save a step and a lot of mess if I don't need the saw. It's a bit of a long run to cut.

2. My floor is "concreted" right up to the walls with no gap like you see on newer floors. How can I be sure I won't damage the cinder blocks at floor level? Will the concrete just break away from the wall with maybe a tap from a sledge hammer?

Thanks for any help.

Dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigds01

I just had this done last week. Best 10k I ever spent. It was a hell of a lot of work to watch the 4 guys bust their ass for 2 days.

Dude, just pay.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 10:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
danielj_2009

Not much action on this one. Thanks for the reply and advice. I'll probably wait until spring to revisit this project as we are pretty busy right now.

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 1:24AM
More Discussions
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
water leakage under drywall in basement
We just bought a new home. Originally built in 1907,...
newhomeseattle
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™