Insulation above pony wall

jasontrulandSeptember 11, 2012

I can't seem to find an exact answer on this, although it's touched upon in a few different threads. I have a walkout basement that I am in the early stages of gutting and refinishing. First goal is to insulate it better, since it's quite cold in the winter (I'm in southern NH). About a quarter of my poured basement wall is a pony wall. Above it is older wood paneling with fiberglass insulation that is quite gross. I had a bad mouse problem the past few years and I can see where they have all nested.... Anyway, what's the best solution for insulating above the pony wall, other than spray foam? I just can't afford that. I didn't know if I could use rock wool, or put some xps against the plywood first... Just not sure :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

You can use the linked energy calculator to figure out what minimum R Value to aim for.

XPS or EPS against the sheathing followed by fibrous insulation or blown cellulose would create a tight wall. For the best results, seal all cracks and holes in the walls.

Here is a link that might be useful: ZIP Code Insulation Calculator

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 7:22PM
brickeyee

"About a quarter of my poured basement wall is a pony wall."

What is holding up the house?
A pony wall is normally a shorter than ceiling height non-weight bearing wall, typically used to divides space at floor level while keeping t open ast eye level it makes the smaller areas appear larger).

It wounds like you just have a decorative wall 'covering' that does not go full height, closer to wainscoting.

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 5:20PM
jasontruland

Thanks for the responses guys. I never got notification that I had responses so I never checked!

brickeyee, Pony wall is probably the wrong term, my apologies. I have a walkout basement. The foundation to either side of the door to walk outside is only about 4 feet high, above that is some gross wood paneling up to the ceiling. So the foundation is only half the height of the basement wall in that part of the basement. So I was wondering if I ripped the paneling off and removed the fiberglass, could I use XPS or EPS directly against the sheathing. I can see from the first response that I can do that.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
Basement tile grout sweating
Hi Experts, We have a new house (1 year old, Hamilton,...
Joe Regular
Sponsored Products
4" Compact Fluorescent Electronic Airtight IC Housing
$54.90 | Lamps Plus
Finger Paint 'Happy Mother's Day' 24-Oz. Tumbler
$16.99 | zulily
Thermocast Kitchen Wellington Drop-in Acrylic 25x22x9 1-Hole Single Bowl
Home Depot
Snow Joe 13 in. Universal Snow Shovel Protective Cover - SJPCVR
$19.99 | Hayneedle
Leucos | Drop LED Recessed Lighting
$517.50 | YLighting