urine smell

edblueSeptember 30, 2012

I have four cats that have a bathroom in the basement. The house i rent is a side by side. Concrete wall and wood door separate the basement. My previous neighbor had two cats and when the new neighbor moved in they noticed a urine smell in their kitchen and contacted me. As a good neighbor I have used vinegar, bleach, peroxide and KILTz with the neighbors still complaining of a smell when it is hot/humid out or turn their heat on. On my side I have never smelled urine unless it happens. I smell the litter more then anything.

but considering the concrete wall is three inches thick I was wondering if both side would need to be treated?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vineyardflute

I think you would be right. I wonder if they have taken any action on their side or if you were simply convenient to blame. I hardly believe the odor is actually coming from your home.

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 10:37AM
rubicon

I was just reading in another thread about this smell but it was associated with insulation. I used to have the same smell coming from the lowest part of a cathedral ceiling. The attic had insulation that would get wet from a roof leak right about that part of the ceiling and it would smell like urine whenever it rained. Could something similar be happening to your neighbors?

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 10:02PM
brickeyee

Try 'nature's miracle'

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 2:12PM
More Discussions
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
water leakage under drywall in basement
We just bought a new home. Originally built in 1907,...
newhomeseattle
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Naween
upgrade R11 to R13 insulation in basement?
We are in the process of remodeling our basement. We...
Desirun2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™