congoleum commercial tile on basement floor?

chipg2September 12, 2006

I'm in an old (1914) house, with a concrete basement floor. We don't get water in the basement, but when it rains a lot the concrete does get darker.

I'm thinking of semi-finishing the basement and am looking into flooring.

Someone suggested congoleum commercial tile, a kind of vinyl tile

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with that? I'm looking to do about 3/4 of the basement floor with it.

It seems like mold growth would not be aproblem with this, but I wonder about how the moisture would affect the adhesive?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
western_pa_luann

Do you have a dehumidifier running spring to fall?

Bookmark   September 18, 2006 at 11:58AM
chipg2

No, we don't use a dehumidifier at all. I'm concerned about leaving it running when we go away for several weeks in the summer. I'd rather not do that, so I'm looking for a flooring that will work without a dehumidifier.

I saw some stuff at home depot that is compositeboard on top of some plastic "feet", like egg cartons, they come in 2x2's or 1x1s and snap together, floating on the cement floor. But our floor is not even and this stuff was expensive.

Do you have experience with cft in basement?

Bookmark   September 18, 2006 at 12:20PM
infoartist

It may be too late but we tried this, it was awful, we ended up putting in carpet to sell the house. This type of tile requires a VERY flat, level floor. Their were cracks in the tile where the floor was not level and the glue started coming up through the cracks between the tile, it was just awful.

That said, I'm sure it would be a decent choice as far as water issues go, if you were able to put down down some sort of self-leveling cement-based product and the proper primers to prepare the subfloor.

Bookmark   December 8, 2006 at 2:42PM
jmendez_vnetpublishing_com

We have the right answer for your flooring problem. Super-fast curing with no disruption to operations, the exact degree of slip resistance required, processing even at very low temperatures, a large selection of color design options and much, much more � all thanks to Silikal�s product range.

Here is a link that might be useful: Commercial flooring

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 8:00AM
More Discussions
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Naween
Basement Plans Thoughts?
Hello, Planning to finishing my basement and hoping...
NYcRavi
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™