Thoughts about these lamps?

newhomebuilderApril 1, 2010

Could these possibly be pewter? Worth more than $25? I realize that they would need to be re-wired and have new shades.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bronze/pewter lamps

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DLM2000

My thoughts? I think you should go get them!

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 10:28PM
newhomebuilder

Any reason? :) :)

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 10:49PM
Fori is not pleased

Too far for me to get?

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 12:43AM
newhomebuilder

OK, I need a hint please. :) What do y'all think they are...pewter?

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 8:17AM
DLM2000

Reasons? 1) I think they're kinda cool looking, different 2) with a more modern shade they'll have an interesting ying/yang thing going and I think that'll be great in your home 3) just because they're old doesn't necessarily mean they have to be re-wired but even if they do, that's not a break the bank expense (and you could probably do it yourself) 4) when all is said and done, you have something you won't find in Home Goods or Pottery Barn - not that I don't love them both for certain things, but you know what I mean.

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 8:21AM
newhomebuilder

OK, I'll email the seller. He says they are 30" tall. If that measurement is to the socket top, then they will be tall enough for my bedside tables once a shade is added. If it's to the top of the harp, they won't be. From the camera angle, they appear to be short. I wish people would quit taking photos with their phones.

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 8:27AM
DLM2000

If you like them and they're heavy enough, you can add an extended neck portion to make them taller.(there's a proper name for that, I just don't know it)

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 8:56AM
lindac

Most likely not pewter...that kind of fancy decoration wasn't often done in pewter. But who cares? it's not the metal but the design you are buying....they are lovely lamps. not sure if they are antique but well worth the $25 they are asking...if I lived close I would buy them.
They are most likely an alloy called white bronze by some.
Take pictures when you get them...I would be interested to see the cord and the top....wondering if they have been made out of a pair of candlesticks.
Linda C

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 11:29AM
patty_cakes

Are you a collector of lamps, or in general? I buy because I usually like something, not because of it's value. For $30 you can't go wrong, and I don't have a clue if they're pewter, but pretty. ;o)

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 1:07PM
newhomebuilder

Just wanted to let y'all know that the guy left a phone number only. Additionally, I found out from the phone number that he lives in the boonies. I have been too busy today to arrange seeing them. Will contact after Easter and see if the lamps are still available and if they are the correct size. Thanks!

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 6:53PM
More Discussions
Japanese Vase
I just got this vase at street sale would like to know...
Dones
Need history of "Lister Woodcraft"
Trying to determine if this wooden candlestick is really...
bradleyd_svh
Can anyone identify this nightstand?
This nightstand was my grandmas and was given to me...
Michael Potter
Help identifying Bowl
I have had this Bowl for some time, i can't seem to...
Dones
Early Masons Vista Pink Soup Tureen
Hello! I have inherited a great deal of Masons vista...
aeb78
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™