basement odor near sump hole

davetsSeptember 24, 2008

I live in a walkout, split level home on a slab with a sump hole under the steps leading to the lower level. The hole has been dry since I moved in 4 years ago and it has 2 lines coming into it. There is no pump or even electrical in that location so there was never a pump there. Last week we started getting a strong musty smell from under the steps. The pump hole and lines are dry and floor and walls are dry with no cracks. I look in one of the lines coming into the sump hole and about 5 feet out I see its packed with sandy soil. I run an auger through it and get out 2 feet of soil but I'm getting large chunks of concrete out also and now can't go anymore. The smell is still there even when I seal the sump hole with plastic and duct tape. It doesn't stink anywhere else in the basement except when you open the door under the steps. I don't remember the sand being in the pipe when I bought it as I looked before purchasing. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
casey_wa

I am just a DIY homeowner, not a pro...but I have a few thoughts. Since it is dry, what using about some odor absorbent like baking soda or charcoal. Another idea would be spraying a little bleach or bleach/water mix.

Casey

"http://www.driverdb.com/Sean McDonagh"

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 8:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davets

Thanks for the reply. I did put 2 "Odor-Blitz" containers in the area under the steps but it didn't do much. I put a humidity gauge in the sump area and one out in the living area of the basement. The one in the sump area reads 70% while the other reads 60%. I have since put a fan and a dehumidifier under the steps and it lowers the humidity to 60% but the smell is still present. On the exterior side of the block walls surrounding the under stairs area where the smell is I have landscaping and mulch. I have since dug up the dirt along the wall and it seems to have the same odor. I think I'll try cleaning the block and sealing it with waterproofer to seal it in case the smell is coming from the outside. I still don't know why my drain tile is plugged with dry sand though.

Bookmark   September 26, 2008 at 12:20AM
More Discussions
Basement Plans Thoughts?
Hello, Planning to finishing my basement and hoping...
NYcRavi
upgrade R11 to R13 insulation in basement?
We are in the process of remodeling our basement. We...
Desirun2
What kind of ceiling to do?
We are wanting to finish out basement rustic/lodge...
jencox5508
1250sqft Basement heating question
This may be a crazy question as I have not found anything...
MCHammmer
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™