Unusual chair - help with identification?

Nick2013April 29, 2013

Hi Everyone,

I found this chair recently and wasn't really sure what to make of it. I don't know much about antique furniture. Can anyone identify this? I know it's old... but is it antique?

The motif for the support between the legs is a shell (doesn't show up that well in the picture).

It has some finishing nails, but they are placed sporadically and might be a repair. There are 6 slotted screws on the back right side of the chair. They're all along one side which makes me think this is a repair (why would they not be on both sides since the rest of the chair is symmetrical). It's been reupholstered fairly recently from the looks of it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

I think its a mid-20th century Mediterranean revival style chair, with elements of other historical styles.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 8:53PM
calliope

I'm not so sure. It's unusual, but the wood just doesn't have the look of mid-century and I would suggest the owner poke around for a little more clues as to age. I'm guessing more like 19-teens. I'd like to see under the seat for evidence of reupholstery and the joinings.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 1:23PM
palimpsest

I was thinking that the seat detail looked older, too. It could kind of fit in that Renaissance Revival period of the teens and 20s. There are a couple 19th century houses here that got elaborate "Spanish" or "Venetian" remodels here, around 1920 or so.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 10:16AM
More Discussions
Any Idea what this item could be?
Simply put I have zero idea what this could be, It...
mikerond
Need help identifying this lamp.
Please see the picture below. The lamp was originally...
Chuck Wert
Why isn't furniture selling?
I've been trying to sell this 45" diameter vintage...
debodun
Early Masons Vista Pink Soup Tureen
Hello! I have inherited a great deal of Masons vista...
aeb78
Assistance regarding Lofisa Porcelain
Can anyone shed some light on this piece? I bought...
imaztribabe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™