Sealing a Damp & Humid Basement With Radonseal

acanthusmanSeptember 17, 2011

My basement is ground level in the back, the other 3 sides are completely underground. The house was built in 69, I am going to be putting in a apartment but have damp & humidity problem and am considering Radonseal as a solution prior to renovating. Can anyone speak to its waterproofing claim? I am also curious if this product has an odor to it. I would gladly accept recommendations of other waterproofing products.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

Radonseal is one of a number of silicate penetrating reactive sealers. In theory, it will work better over the long run than a surface sealer.

But how effective is Radonseal's formula vs. competitors? Radonseal's website doesn't point to any independent testing of its formula in relation to ASTM standards. I have seen posts claiming it is inferior to competitors--but again, no references. (It would be interesting to contact some of the institutional customers the Radonseal cites.)

But if all you have is dampness and humidity, that is normal for a basement during summer months. The only effective way to reduce that humidity--which should be less than 50%--is through mechanical dehumidification. There's no magic one-time wall coating that will remove humidity from the air.

As a builder, I have effectively used Permaquik crystalline waterproofing applied from the outside. It can be used on the inside too, but is best done by pros as it requires a pre-wash of the wall with sulphuric acid.

Here is a link that might be useful: Types of Sealers

Bookmark   September 17, 2011 at 12:44PM
More Discussions
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Naween
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™