ground level basement window leaks when raining

dustynightSeptember 17, 2006

Does anyone have a solution to this problem: This particular window is level with the cement outside and has a very small cement window well (about an inch deep). When it rains, water leaks throught the window (via the window well) and onto the basement floor.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blue_fastback

They do make a plastic half moon cover for basement windows. Matbe that would help.

Bookmark   September 17, 2006 at 10:19AM
dustynight

Are they for windows that are below ground level? This particular window is mostly above ground -- about 1 to 2 inches of the window is below ground level.

Rain then seeps down this small window well, onto the window sill and then down the basement wall onto the floor.

Bookmark   September 17, 2006 at 5:18PM
homebound

Is the gravel in the well deep enough for catching enough water and for drainage? You might want to check. Dig it out (several feet) and replace with gravel if it isn't in there.

Close any gaps where the cement meets your foundation wall nearby. The water might be getting in adjacent to the well, and then via any gaps between the well and the foundation wall. And block or divert any surface water that's running directly into it during heavy rains.

Bookmark   September 19, 2006 at 11:14AM
Alice Johannen

I second homebound's advice. We had a window that did that in our old house. We dug a nice, deep window well and that solved the problem. Takes some work, but it's worth it.

Bookmark   September 19, 2006 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
upgrade R11 to R13 insulation in basement?
We are in the process of remodeling our basement. We...
Desirun2
Flooring System over a basement
In my current house we used 16-18" deep floor...
AZN8TIV
1250sqft Basement heating question
This may be a crazy question as I have not found anything...
MCHammmer
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™