Sands in French Drain

gangAugust 28, 2011

Hi,

With the recent Hurricane, Irene, dumping a lot of rain in NY/NJ area, my basement is flooded. I do have a french drain with the sump pump. But there aree severl spot inside the french drain where the water comes out strongly with a lot of sands. The sands block the french drain itself and water has no place to go but flooded the basemanet.

What is the problem (I thought the french drain is supposed to handle the blockage)? What can I do?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Gang

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

There are two types of weeping tile. For at least the last 30 years, flexible plastic tile has been the standard. It comes wrapped in a fabric sock to prevent the infiltration of sand. However, plant roots can still penetrate these and impede water flow.

Before then, clay tiles were used--about one-foot long sections of pipe loosely inserted into each other. Over time, these shifted, were crushed or collapsed becoming useless. I see these all the time when I demolish homes from the 1950s and 1960s.

To check the condition of your weepers and see whether they can be cleaned out successfully, you can have them inspected with a camera.

Here, when I have built on sand, the soils engineer has recommended that I not use any weepers as the sand itself is the best form of drainage.

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 8:40AM
More Discussions
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Naween
upgrade R11 to R13 insulation in basement?
We are in the process of remodeling our basement. We...
Desirun2
Basement Plans Thoughts?
Hello, Planning to finishing my basement and hoping...
NYcRavi
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™