Storing file cabinets with files in attached garage?

susanlynn2012August 12, 2009

Storing file cabinets with files in attached garage is my post on the basement forum since I was not sure where to post this and maybe those with basements can help me since we have similar issues I feel.

I live in an attached interior townhouse with an attached one car garage. I made my family room and dining room a home office and over the last 12 years of living here have bought many file cabinets to keep the client papers and my billing files that I must keep for so many years. The big 5 drawer 42" wide Hon Putty file cabinets were bought when I moved in to line up again the wall and to all match to make my office professional.

Now that I am moving everything out of my home office into the garage and an POD in order to paint it and replace the 20 year old carpet with engineered wood floors, I am finding the room so lit up and happy without the huge file cabinets blocking the light from the window. I would like to keep only a few years in my home and a few older years in the garage in some of the big cabinets (older files I have now stored in a climate controlled outside storage facility).

My question is, would the files and papers get musty/moldy being in the garage that is not climate controlled in the Northern NJ area? I wish I only bought 4-drawer file cabinets since there 5-drawer cabinets can not fit up my stairs and I do not want them in my small family room that is open to the kitchen since I deserve a peaceful room when I am not working.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
velvetfoot

I'm no expert, but I think there's a chance. My tools got rusty one year when some weird weather came through and there was a lot of condensation. I wonder how much it would cost to scan all that stuff and put it on a secure server somewhere.

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 8:14AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanlynn2012

Velvetfoot, I like this idea that I can have the documents duplicated with storing it in a secure server off-site scanned documents with the hard copy in my home office stored in my home for the first few years and then stored in the garage. I finally rented outside storage but there is no way I am going to bring the heavy big cabinets there so I bought stackable crates.

I have been running my dehumidifier all day in the garage which is definitely going to give me a big electric bill. After my floor is replaced, I will see if maybe only three file cabinets will be stored in the garage out of 13.

Bookmark   August 16, 2009 at 12:50AM
More Discussions
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
ideas for basement?
Hoping some of you more creative people can help me...
Michael Oslosky
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
Sponsored Products
Chelsea Home Orleans Power Rocker Recliner in New Era Black
Beyond Stores
37 Inch Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Chelsea Home Wyoming Recliner in Calcutta Camel
Beyond Stores
Jesper Office | 100 Collection 2-Door Cabinet
YLiving.com
Forest Covering Screen
$279.99 | Dot & Bo