Crawl space renovation ideas

blacknumber1August 29, 2006

My home has a crawl space under about 3/4 of it, working in there is absolute misery. Would it be possible/practical to try and dig it out into an actual basement? The foundation is entirely made of brick and theres many pier blocks in the crawl space that support the house. I would like to get rid of them and put a large beam with screw jack coloums under the house, but first I would need to dig about 50 yards of sand out by hand, no fun!

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
betaiota

Around here there are a few contractors that specialize in this type of thing. I think this is definately a big project, in scope and money, and best left to a professional. Just make sure that if you are going to go to that expense, make the new basement walls at least 8' (hopefully 9' or 10') and have it pre-plumbed for a bathroom.

Bookmark   August 30, 2006 at 4:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blacknumber1

Thanks! Unfortunetly my existing cellar room only has 7 foot ceilings, going deeper than that in the crawl space may not be real practical, and the existing foundation walls only go down a few feet, so as the crawl space was dug out something solid would have to be put under them to support the house.

Bookmark   August 30, 2006 at 8:51PM
More Discussions
Ductwork revisions
I am working on re-finishing a basement that was originally...
aarongarbutt
Basement Plans Thoughts?
Hello, Planning to finishing my basement and hoping...
NYcRavi
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
upgrade R11 to R13 insulation in basement?
We are in the process of remodeling our basement. We...
Desirun2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™