Subfloor or not???

green_n_ohioAugust 25, 2006

I am having my basement finished, and plan to have carpet installed. Should a subfloor be installed, or should the carpet just be laid on concrete?

Many thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jtwtech

Either way. A subfloor would make the floor warmer, but you can install the carpet directly over the concrete. You just have to weigh the cost to benefit!

Bookmark   August 27, 2006 at 2:15AM
woodinvirginia

Man I suggest you get Carpet Padding at least 8lb for that carpet. Unless your joints are those of an 18 year old.

Bookmark   August 28, 2006 at 10:59PM
flnative

A little off topic but, we are finishing our basement as well. I would love to have carpet in there. I am worried about flooding though. In the end I know I will not be happy with anything but carpet.

Bookmark   September 13, 2006 at 1:00PM
western_pa_luann

I wouldn't carpet if flooding is an issue. How about an area rug?

Bookmark   September 13, 2006 at 1:30PM
iamnodiy

The last thing you want is thick padding under the carpet in the basement. In the event of flooding the padding will act like a sponge and absorb the water. It will be impossible to dry. Mold and mildew will grow in the padding, and the padding will have to be changed. I had carpeting in the basement of a previous house. I had the choice of gluing the carpet directly to the cement floor or having a special thin padding designed for basement installation under the carpet. I went with the padding. In the event of water damage a wet vac can be used to dry the carpet. The only issue I had with carpet in the basement is that it was a pain to vacuum such a large area. I suggest if you decide on carpeting get something with a litte print. We used a tweed berber.

Bookmark   September 16, 2006 at 10:54PM
More Discussions
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
What kind of ceiling to do?
We are wanting to finish out basement rustic/lodge...
jencox5508
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™