Waterproofing

vapourousAugust 3, 2012

Hi all,

I'm house shopping and all the houses seem to have some kind of issue. Ugh. The latest one looks great until you get to the basement where there is evidence that water has been in the basement (water lines along the bottom of the old drywall). Barring any kind of structural issue, what is the worst case (most expensive) scenario to correct the basement flooding? Exterior French drain?

The house is well priced about $20k below market so I'm actually considering putting in a low offer even with the basement. The seller will not consider fixing it.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

While $20K might cover exterior issues, you're still left with water damaged mould-contaminated interior framing, drywall and flooring.

Without examining the patient in person, we're only guessing. If you're serious, get an inspection.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 9:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vapourous

Thanks Worthy.

If I move forward, I would absolutely get an inspection AND a few quotes from waterproofing companies. I'm just trying to gauge if I want to move forward.

Anyone have an idea of how much exterior french drains cost to install per foot (or however they price it)? Ruining the landscaping and access for equipment isn't an issue.

The basement needs a complete renovation and I would tear everything out anyway so I'm not too concerned with that. It was never really finished. The flooring is a piece of indoor/outdoor carpeting (more like felt) placed on top of the concrete.It's not even glued down. The previous owners obviously never used the basement.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
water leakage under drywall in basement
We just bought a new home. Originally built in 1907,...
newhomeseattle
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™