primer for a new drywall

millieonAugust 31, 2006

Hi,

Do you need two coats of a primer for the new drywall in the basement? My son is doing his also and he bought Behrs which one coat is required according to the instructions.

My drywall is not taped yet but just would like to know which primer would you recommend.

Thanks.

Millie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

Any primer for new drywall will suffice. Keep applying it until the drywall no longer absorbs. More than 2 coats could be necessary. Much cheaper than paint and necessary for assuring a nice final coat. BTW - primer can be tinted to color match the final color too.

Bookmark   September 1, 2006 at 8:23AM
millieon

Thank you for responding much appreciated.

Bookmark   September 1, 2006 at 6:30PM
iamnodiy

When we replaced the paneling with drywall in our bedroom we used Benjamin Moore primer and paint. We did one coat with a tinted primer and one coat of paint. The tinted primer really makes a difference. We previously had replaced the paneling in the boys room. I used white primer. It took two coats of primer to cover the drywall and it took two coats of paint to cover the primer. White is hard to work with. I will be using a tinted primer when the basement is complete.

Bookmark   September 4, 2006 at 10:21AM
legardhome

I just spent the last three weeks painting our basement. One coat of primer and two coats of the final color. We used 3 different primers (15 gallon). The best of the three was called 1st Step and came from Lowes. When dried it looked like a final coat. No see thru at all. It also wasn't so thin that it ran down the brush when I edged like the other two - Behr and Benjamin Moore. Good Luck!

Bookmark   September 9, 2006 at 8:59PM
More Discussions
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Naween
Basement Plans Thoughts?
Hello, Planning to finishing my basement and hoping...
NYcRavi
Basement tile grout sweating
Hi Experts, We have a new house (1 year old, Hamilton,...
Joe Regular
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™