Help with red dust please!

jcannuckAugust 12, 2009

I just finished a 7 month renovation on a 1948 Ranch-style bungalow near Toronto. In the "old" section of the basement, there is a red dust on the concrete floor that when it's wet just thickens and runs like a Prince Edward Island potato field in the rain. You can't sweep it, you can't mop it up, and it gets into everything. I didn't realize how bad it was until we laid our light beige carpet in the finished area of the basement. The area of concern is where we have our furnace, hot water heater, etc.

We are thinking that it is likely iron oxide from a paint or tile used by the previous owners in the 1950s. If I can get some of it off, I'm thinking about covering this area with interlocking plastic floor tiles like one could use in a garage.

Any thoughts on how to get rid of this stuff? Steam cleaning? Some kind of paint stripping agent? Help! My carpet in the guest room is going to be pink if I don't do something soon!

More Discussions
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
ideas for basement?
Hoping some of you more creative people can help me...
Michael Oslosky
Basement wall insulation
Hello, I live in a 1952 English bungalow in Chicago...
kmalladi
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Ceiling Fan: Hampton Bay Glacier Bay 52 in. Indoor/Outdoor Rustic Copper
Home Depot
3Form Brushed Nickel LED 24-Inch Wide Clips Wall Sconce with Ribbon Twirl Ecores
Bellacor
Floating Medallions Rug 9'6" x 13'6" - BLUE
$1,459.00 | Horchow
Isola Outdoor Sofa Cover
$114.50 | FRONTGATE
Fire Magic 43802 Echelon Double Drawer - 43802
$567.80 | Hayneedle
Silver Leopard Rug 4' x 6' - SILVER LEOPARD
$779.00 | Horchow
Black Ceramic Table Lamp: 11 in. Chrome Plated Stacked Stones Table Lamp with Bl
$79.99 | Home Depot
Blue & Ivory Moroccan Wool Area Rug
$39.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™