sheetrock alternatives for basement partition walls?

diybmoreAugust 4, 2012

hi,

we are partially refinishing our basement bit by bit as time and budget allows. what we're after is a clean, safe space for the kids to play in, not a finished look. so far, we've taken down the old drop ceiling, wall panelling and carpeting and have spot waterproofed the walls, installed new lighting, started to dry-lok the cement block walls and stained the concrete floor. soon we will paint the exposed ceiling (white).

my question is about the partition walls. there are 2 around the furnace room, and one long one that was originally an exterior wall before this basement addition was built. both are framed with wood which originally held up the panelling. you can see them on the right and left sides of the photo below.

we're reluctant to put up drywall since a) it seems tricky for inexperienced DIYers (we've never done it and don't own a truck for transport, b) the basement is below grade and the house is situated near a stream so we can't rule out a major storm bringing water in at some point; and c) the rest of the room will be painted concrete and a painted exposed ceiling so drywall could look out of place.

would corrugated metal roofing panels work? or shelving with some kind of backing? these options seem like the right "industrial" kind of look but we haven't heard of anyone doing this so perhaps there's a reason not to! any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nadine33

So I have no clue about a good answer except that I was just googling for some similar iadeas and came across this product:
http://www.wahoowalls.com/

I have no idea if it's good or not, or if maybe someone here has experience with it??

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 4:10PM
mjgray

I'm looking for similar ideas for our basement, but we don't have any framing at this point. I think marine-grade plywood might look pretty cool on your partition walls. Depending on your vehicle, you might be able to get a half-sheet in there. Otherwise, I think galvanized metal would also be fun.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 6:06PM
brickeyee

"I think marine-grade plywood..."

Wait till you see the price.

Their are also fire code issues with thin plywood on bare studs.

Drywall is still usually about the cheapest safe thing.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 11:44AM
alkibeachkirsty

Another vote for drywall. It's the cheapest option by far, even if you figure in delivery issues and risk of damage. Hanging it is easy, even for DIY. You can do it with minimal tools, hiding errors is possible w/ mud, and it's far less work than cutting plywood or sheet metal.

Finishing drywall nicely is harder, but you have many options there depending on how much you want to spend time/money wise, and the level of imperfection you're willing to live with.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 3:36PM
More Discussions
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
1250sqft Basement heating question
This may be a crazy question as I have not found anything...
MCHammmer
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
water seeping through floor?
I have a finished walk out basement. After several...
abbey_cny
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™