Basement Perimeter Framing

wjansenAugust 5, 2010

Hi Guys,

I'm at the point in my basement remodel where I'm starting the framing (after nighmarish floor levelling!). My question is what is appropriate for a walk-out basement - let me explain further.

3 out of the 4 sides of my basement are half concrete foundation walls on the bottom half and wood stud framing on top (common for walk-out), but the walk-out wall that has the sliding glass door is completely wood stud framed from ceiling to floor (load-bearing wall with no above-ground foundation) with brick exterior on other side of studs and insulation.

For the half concrete foundating/half framed wall, I plan to simply build stud walls in front of the current foundation wall with a 1/2" gap (as seems to be common). However, for the fully framed current wall, what should i do?

It seems like a serious waste of space to build a new stud wall in front of this wall (losing 4.5" from the wall), but I also feel like I can't just drywall this as-is either (or could I?). I was thinking of maybe adding 1" or 2" of furring strips to the existing studs, put in a higher R-value insulation (thicker, like would go between 2x6s) and drywall over the furring strips (after electrical, etc.).

What do people do in a situaiton like this?! Is there any reason to add another studwall?

Thanks for any advice...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

If comfort and energy savings matter, you need to provide sufficient space for insulation to meet the min. R Value for your area. According to Dr. Lstiburek of Building Science Corp., the minimum R values north of the Mason-Dixon line is R20 for basement walls, R40 for abovegrade walls.

For below grade walls, do not use fibrous insulation unless you can locate MemBrain brand vapour barrier, which I have found is very unlikely, or you first attach extruded polystyrene boards at least 1" thick to the walls. This can be followed by high-density fiberglass batts.

Copying what previous builders/renovators have done makes sense only if what they did was sound practice by contemporary standards. Leaving a 1/2" of space between the foundation wall and framing (and insulation) only provides space for air currents to swirl reducing R-Value.

Here is a link that might be useful: Building Science Corp. on Basements

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 11:49AM
More Discussions
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™