how did you do your stairs

andrelaplume2August 26, 2009

we are finishing our basement...nothing fancy. We are considering leaving the underside of our stairway open. I painted the bottom of the steps and drywalled the back wall. Its a nice spot for the treadmill. I am now considering drywalling the bottom of the stairs. Going down the stairs is a single rail secured to the wall at the top of the stairs and to a 2X4 thats tied into the bottom of the stairway and the joist above. How have other folks made this look better or even safer..I can just see the kids hoping thru the side instead of going all the way down the stairs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_mce

I can just see the kids hoping thru the side instead of going all the way down the stairs.

So what? Let them.

Bookmark   August 29, 2009 at 8:56PM
andrelaplume2

at some point an nspector will say something plus it could be dangerous. Surely someone has done something...

Bookmark   August 30, 2009 at 10:22PM
young_carpenter

could you post a picture.

from what I understand from your description is that you just want some balusters. it would look nice and keep kids from jumping. we had an open stair case at my house and i used to jump through it everyday lol.

Bookmark   September 14, 2009 at 8:15PM
cathy2012

we have a basement stairway that is drywalled on both sides. It actually gives a feel of going down into a cave. so, you may want to keep the openness. But, I'm sure you can do better than a 2x4 for the attachment. maybe a pole that's 6 x 6 around in a box? for safety, you may find lighting to be more helpful. These days, I worry more about the old folks than the kids :o)

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 3:25PM
More Discussions
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
1250sqft Basement heating question
This may be a crazy question as I have not found anything...
MCHammmer
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™