how do I finish wall by stairway

andrelaplume2August 25, 2008

When you go down the stairs to our basement, 1/2 the wall (above grade) that abuts the staircase is already finished and drywalled. The lower half (below grade) is poured concrete. So imagine running your hand along the poured concrete portion upward...eventually you hit a 'bump' where the drywall starts. How do I finsh this portion of the wall? It looks as if I glued a piece of drywall to the poured concrete it would then align/blend with the drywall already there further up. Drywalling to poured concrete would be a no no though; I'd think. (It is an outside wall under the garage...no moisture issues that I can see but still...)

What should I do? Should I use that mold resistant drywall?

Other ideas....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

Mine was against the garage but not where the foundation is exposed to the elements. Put a long level against the wall and set it plumb. Carefully check along the width for the gap against the concrete to see what thickness you must fill.

On ours, I ended up chiseling away several concrete knubs left by the forms, cutting and anchoring some plywood (1/4" as I recall), and gluing drywall to the plywood. I'm sure I had to shim the plywood in places too. Can't recall if I then used 1/2" or 5/8" drywall but the finished result blends perfectly.

Another option would be to set drywall proud against the concrete and cap with a nice piece of wood.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 4:52PM
andrelaplume2

can you elaborate on: Another option would be to set drywall proud against the concrete and cap with a nice piece of wood.

Thanks.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 10:33PM
fnmroberts

If you are unable to create a smooth wall by attaching new drywall to the concrete, then intentionally set it away from the concrete and bridge the space with a wooden shelf. This is often done.

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 10:15AM
More Discussions
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
Basement wall insulation
Hello, I live in a 1952 English bungalow in Chicago...
kmalladi
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
water in unfinished basement
Well its in the 50s here in NJ and the snow is melting....
hoganjr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™