Humid basement

patd_4219August 3, 2009

I have recently "finished" my basement and have noticed mold growing on my wood furniture. I do not have central air, and live in an area with humid summers. I have a Humidex running non-stop, an additional portable dehumidifier running non-stop and a fan running non-stop to circulate the air. I had french drains installed and 2 sump pumps before the remodel. Nothing seems to be helping during this humid summer. Was thinking of a portable air conditioner. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
velvetfoot

While I am not an expert, I would say the Humidex is making the problem worse. Close up the basement and run the dehumidifier, taking note of the humidity, emptying when pan is full if not on a pump or gravity drain. I'm not sure of the % humiditiy to shoot for but it's probably less than 70% (not sure though).

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 9:28PM
bus_driver

I found 50% to be best for me.

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 6:54PM
worthy

Close up the basement and run the dehumidifier, taking note of the humidity, emptying when pan is full if not on a pump or gravity drain.

Yes, the basement windows must be closed and you should seek to achieve a relative humidity below 50%. Too many people insist on allowing "fresh air" in.

The Humidex system boasts of how it brings in "fresh" outside air into the upstairs, from where it's distributed to the basement. Ingenious indeed!

Bookmark   August 8, 2009 at 10:01PM
More Discussions
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
water in unfinished basement
Well its in the 50s here in NJ and the snow is melting....
hoganjr
Basement wall insulation
Hello, I live in a 1952 English bungalow in Chicago...
kmalladi
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™