Baseboard Type? / Quick XPS Question

andrelaplume2August 3, 2009

Ok, I have some drywall up about 2" off the ground in the basement. Two Questions:

1) Is it better to use wooden baseboard or MDF. I assume in a flood either would need to come off...no?

2) I have an area (storage) by my bilko door. I figure if water gets in then it will come from there...unless the washer or water heater overflow / leak. I was thinking it might be prudent to us that vinyl type moisture resistent baseboard product I see at the big box stores. Its a bt pricey but if the area flooded, would this still need to be removed replaced?

Now, to be honest, in this storage area, I would just assume put nothing up since I am not even finishing the drywall anyway...but I assume that would be a code issue if an inspector ever saw it...thoughts about doing nothing..?

On the XPS topic....I figure I might as well cap off the top of the exposed XPS. I figure I can take 2" wide drywall scraps and cap it off. This would be done purely for safety / code (if even required in my area)...though I am unsure what it really gets me. Anyway, its essentiall free and easy to do at this point so why not.

Question....how do I adhere the drywall strips to the XPS...spray foam, silicon, grab it, liquid nails....?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

Baseboard is cosmetic, not Code. The rubber/vinyl baseboards have to be glued to something solid; you can't hang them on 2" of air.

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 11:36AM
andrelaplume2

No these look are just like the wood ones, 3.25 high and 9/16 thick. They would be nailed into the fir strips just as the regular baseboard. I was thinking they would be impervious to a flood...not sure if its worth the cost.

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 11:49AM
worthy

If you think there's a risk of 2" or more of standing water, I'd put some more effort into assuring there are proper floor drains and other water diversions in place.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 9:34AM
andrelaplume2

Well, 2" is a lot I guess...I did not think that one thru....should have gone with 1/2"...hence the delimma in my latest new thread.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 1:20PM
More Discussions
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
Basement Carpet
Hello, I'm looking for help finding the right natural...
oreiad
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
upgrade R11 to R13 insulation in basement?
We are in the process of remodeling our basement. We...
Desirun2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™