Not exactly a basement but...

grittymittsAugust 5, 2007

Basements are rare in my part of the country but we do have a storm cellar and hope someone here can offer a clue to solve the mystery:

Previous owners said they'd never had water in the concrete block storm cellar but year before last, during a very severe drought (rainfall 29" below average) the darn thing suddenly had 3" of water in it. When rainfall is heaviest, it is totally dry! WHY?

I keep mosquito dunks in it since West Nile Virus is well known in our area. My DH is too crippled to get down there so we've never used it for anything but storage, however I don't want standing water anywhere.

Suzi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quip

Mom's basement was damp once in 20+ years in the home. The weather was typical, not super wet. They fussed with repairs a bit and the sump pump ran regularly. A few weeks later the local utility found a water main break. I wonder (but can't prove) if the water main was leaking for a while, causing the wet conditions.

Do you have a sump pit/pump? If not, adding one might reduce the odds of future standing water in the cellar.

Bookmark   August 5, 2007 at 12:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grittymitts

Thanks Quip! No water lines anywhere near it (it's detached from the house & at least 30' away.) By the time I got a sump pump down there, not enough water left for it to work. I'd left the door open, so suppose a few 90+ degree days is drying it out.
Suzi

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 9:49PM
More Discussions
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
Sponsored Products
Additional Shelf for Oversized Metallic Shelving
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Sonneman | Chelsea 1 Light Bath Bar
$180.00 | YLighting
Hampton Bay Flush Mounts 2-Light Outdoor Glossy White Flushmount WB0323
$24.97 | Home Depot
Monarch Specialties Charcoal Grey Bonded Leather Swivel Rocker Recliner I 8081GY
Beyond Stores
Hampton Bay Flush Mounts 2-Light Outdoor Matte Black Flushmount WB0325
$27.97 | Home Depot
Beaker Aged Bronze One Light Mini Pendant with Clear Glass
$99.99 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™