Fixing XPS to the walls ?

rsteventonAugust 29, 2008

Hi All,

I was in a hardware store last night and noticed you could get fender washers and a nailgun using .22 calibre to drive the nails into concrete.

Has anyone tried this with fender washers to fix XPS to the wall ? In theory, it should be possible if the charge is exactly right compared to the concrete hardness and length and diameter of the nail.

My worry is that I will just blow the nail + fender washer right through the XPS and damage it so much that it won't stay attached to the wall.

The benefit of doing this is I don't need to drill a bunch of holes in super hard high pressure concrete.

Of course, I could do the same thing with the framing to the floor/etc.

This whole lot could even be cheaper than tapcon's.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greif

my brother, a builder uses a speciality product that is simialar to what you are talking about. I used it to fastnen the 2" foam to the exterior of my basement when I built.

worked fast

Here is a link that might be useful: hilti

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 9:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noplacelikehome

The .22 calibre gun you are talking about is generically called a ram-set. I use it to fasten framing to concrete(Look out for pipes and radiant heating). I don't know how well it would work for thinner foams. Also, if it's older concrete, it sets the fasteners to inconsistent depths. I'm not sure if it's variations in the density of the concrete, or large chunks of aggregate in the way.

Bookmark   September 6, 2008 at 12:32AM
More Discussions
upgrade R11 to R13 insulation in basement?
We are in the process of remodeling our basement. We...
Desirun2
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
Basement Carpet
Hello, I'm looking for help finding the right natural...
oreiad
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
Flooring System over a basement
In my current house we used 16-18" deep floor...
AZN8TIV
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™