Unusual Octagon Chair - What Is It?

blossomaddictApril 29, 2013

A friend recently cleaned up his grandmother's house for resale and gave several items to my husband. He came home with this octagon shaped chair. I think it's really different and am considering refinishing it, but my husband says I shouldn't as the chair is an antique and was in storage in an attic for 50+ years.I did some research and found an Adrian Pearsall chair that was similar, but I'm no expert. Any ideas on what type of chair and how old it is? Thanks very much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blubird

My sister-in-law had these chairs in the 1960s. They were part of the "Mediterranean" style popular at the time...so if they were up in the attic for more than 50 years, they were practically brand new when they were put up there ;-).

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:57PM
mama goose_gw zn6OH

Here's a link to a similar chair that sold on Etsy. There is a link to contact the shop owner--you might be able to find out the age or value.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beautiful hexagon chair

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 10:45PM
annie1971

"Mediterranean" was very popular in the 60. Not an antique, yet , however. It's pretty cute; I wouldn't hesitate to clean it up/refinish it. It looks like it had some use before it was put into the attic. I'd reupholster it in an updated fabric and have fun using it.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 10:13AM
tamn8r

I purchased a pair of these chairs at an auction for a dollar each. Mine were in dire need of refinishing and reupholstering. I have not been able to find out any info on them but believe they are from the 60s.

Bookmark   May 26, 2013 at 9:09AM
More Discussions
Need Help to ID Native American Jewelry Bracelet
I picked this up at local garage sale and thought it...
devincu
Vase no marks new or old ?
I have this vase with no mark at bottom, it's real...
Dones
Help identifying Bowl
I have had this Bowl for some time, i can't seem to...
Dones
China Cup
Hi, I'm doing some research for my sister on a china...
niawomad
Three crown stamp on fork: Swedish or U.S.?
Any idea on the age or authenticity of this brass fork...
bradleyd_svh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™