Insulation

tvaughnAugust 17, 2007

Hello, I've looked over past discussions of insulating a basement and want to see if I have my plan correct.

I have a nice dry basement and will be finishing a portion of it. My plan is to glue 1/2" or 3/4" expanded polystyrene foam insulation to the block wall, construct a 2x4 wall over it, then installing R-13 unfaced fiberglass bats inside the studs and drywall with no vapor barrier. On the interior wall (The one that will seperate the living area and the unheated garage area) I will use regular R-13 faced fiberglass bats with the paper facing the living area.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

If this is all in the basement, stick with the same method all around. Better to go to at least 1" extruded e.g., Styrofoam. Remember, on the wall to garage, the space at the top of the wall is above grade. Also place the bottom plate on an inch of extruded too. This acts as a thermal break while also providing protection from any minor floods or leakage that might occur.

Bookmark   August 17, 2007 at 10:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drjon

I live in the Northeast and I am finishing my basement. I plan on using spray foam insulation and having it sprayed directly on the poured concrete walls.

I am very confused by the competing claims of open vs. closed cell contractors.

My basement has been dry for the 5 years since the house was built, but I am wondering about moisture from the concrete and/or penetration from the surrounding soil. (The foundation has been sealed on the exterior but not insulated.)

Is it better to go with the closed cell that will act as a water vapor barrier or use open cell that will allow the moisture to dry to the interior of the basement?

I am getting conflicting views on this, please help!

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 3:09PM
More Discussions
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
Basement wall insulation
Hello, I live in a 1952 English bungalow in Chicago...
kmalladi
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
water seeping through floor?
I have a finished walk out basement. After several...
abbey_cny
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
lookintomyeyes83
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™