Landlord rights

babydeegDecember 1, 2008

Hi there, I don't live in an apartment but my husband and I just bought a house with a 2 bedroom suite downstairs. We are currently renting that out to a wife and husband who have a 2 year old boy. we are not living upstairs yet as we are in a rental lease until March so we rented the upstairs portion until then. My question is, what do you do if the child is unruly and the parents would do anything about it? The people upstairs have complained many times that the child is constantly screaming all day. He doesn't go to bed until 11pm and wakes at 3 am every night and screams for 1 hour or more and the parents do nothin. I have a 3 year old so I know how hard it can be to contain a toddler but we do try to take control of the situation especially if we know that it is bothering others. So if these people don't get the child under control do we as landlords have the right to give a warning and possibly evict?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Of course you have a right, and if you don't exercise it, you're likely to lose the other tenants.

    Bookmark   December 1, 2008 at 6:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Give the parents a warning letter and keep a copy for yourself. State the problem clearly and that if they do not rectify the situation they could face eviction. Give it till the end of the month, see if the upstairs people have more complaints.
You should keep a written record of all the complaints, too. It's just easier if you have to go back and remember what was said.
If the parents don't take control of their child then give them a one month eviction notice.
Always tough when you have young kids in apartment buildings.
Suzan J

    Bookmark   December 1, 2008 at 11:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Posted by lucy: Of course you have a right, and if you don't exercise it, you're likely to lose the other tenants.

They are going to lose them in March anyway. If they move out sooner they would be breaking the lease.

Babyd, my question is what are you going to do about the basement couple when YOU move in? Is the noise going to bother you? Would it be better to have a couple with a child living beneath you who understands YOUR toddler making noise? If you rent to a childless couple they may complain about the noise above them and move out.

    Bookmark   December 1, 2008 at 1:22PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Running upstairs!!!!
Please someone help me...I need some advice!! At this...
Apartment Owners from H**L
We live in the east in a gated apartment complex owned...
Quiet Hours???? HELP!
What exactly constitutes being quiet during quiet hours? This...
Temporary Housing
The post tell us fine information about the housing....
Moth problem..Help please.....
Allright I have had a moth problem for about 5 maybe...
Sponsored Products
Wright Brothers Playing Card Wall Art
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
Gus Modern | Davenport Bi-Sectional
Salento Persian White Three-Light Island Pendant
$598.00 | Bellacor
Straight and Arrow Art Print
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
Holtkoetter | G-5770 Note Reflector
$250.00 | YLighting
Tan Flower Shade Antique Brass Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Winston Swingarm Sconce by Robert Abbey
$261.80 | Lumens
Meditub 30x53 Right Drain White Soaking Walk-In Bathtub
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™