walkout basement insulation

loosegrooveJuly 26, 2007

I am finishing my basement and I have a couple of quick questions about insulation and vapor barriers

Currently all of the cement walls in my basement have been painted with the drylock paint. In addition I have also applied extruded polystyrene between the walls and the newly constructed walls.

The questions that I have deal with the back wall of my basement. This is a walk out basement and the back wall is completely above ground. It consists of 2 x 6Âs instead of cement. The home builder insulated this wall with fiberglass batts with and covered it with a foil barrier.

Is the back walls setup acceptable to be covered up with drywall in its current state? Should I install another vapor barrier or will the foil barrier suffice? Finally, there are a few rips in the foil barrier, how should I repair them? I was thinking about using foil tape or another layer of the foil barrier sheets.

Thanks for the help

Nick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

The appropriate interior barrier depends on where your house is. If you replace the fiberglass with XPS it won't matter; no barrier needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Understanding Vapour Barriers

Bookmark   July 27, 2007 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
What kind of ceiling to do?
We are wanting to finish out basement rustic/lodge...
jencox5508
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™