Can my landlord refuse to accept rent w/o late fee?

balailNovember 8, 2006

My pay schedule put me getting paid later than the 4th. Due to an unforseen car repair, I can pay my rent but I can not pay the late fee until my next check. I do not dispute that I owe the late fee, however my landlord said he would not accept rent without the late fee. He has issued me a 72 hour notice. I live in Oregon and I looked up the Landlord/Tennent Laws and found that he can't evict me for non-payment of the late fee, however can he refuse my rent and then evict me? It just doesn't seem right. He also informed me that I was late one other time and already have an outstanding late fee. I did not realize this and am fine paying that as well even though he never issues a reciept for me to know, but again I can't do this until my next check.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
talley_sue_nyc

he has done it once already--he may have set a precedent for himself that housing court won't allow him to break.

Are you sure you can't find someone to loan you the late fee?

And then, you'll need to do some belt-tightening so you can adjust your cash flow so you're always AHEAD of your rent.

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 12:01PM
kathyg_in_mi

Pay by check or money order, so you have written proof you paid the rent and get a receipt!
Kathy G in MI

Bookmark   November 16, 2006 at 11:58PM
nfllifer

I'm sure he can do this as mortgage companies will reject a late house payment without the late fee.

He probably can evict for this BUT in front of a judge with your rent minus late fee, doubtfull. I know there are no judges in my county that would evict you.

Can't you borrow the money or even get a personal loan? The late fee can't be that much. Even credit card companies would give you a cash advance.

Bookmark   November 20, 2006 at 2:39PM
fredwolf

Yes he can. Pay what you owe.

Bookmark   November 22, 2006 at 6:03PM
More Discussions
Arranging the living room. Help needed.
Hi there, I am needing some help regarding the arrangement...
KarimT
Found these bugs in my apartment , please identify
Found a bunch of these bugs in my apartment and am...
iamcorymorgan
Help with reducing noise
I live in a second floor apartment with my 5 year old...
erin277
fyi-spammer attack on gardenweb-don't click!
The spammers are out in full force today. Do not click...
dreamgarden
Terrified of my apartment neighbor what can I do?
I am a university student in a small city. I live in...
lexichay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™