Trafficmaster Allure Vinyl Planks in Basement

tam184July 4, 2009

WeÂre planning on refinishing our basement. The previous owners installed carpet over the old vinyl tiles. We had a few issues with water (downspout issues during some big rain storms) which damaged most of the carpet. Originally, we were planning on installing ceramic tiles to deal with the occasional water damage (weÂre pretty sure it wonÂt happen if we keep up with the gutters and downspouts). However, my husband tested some of the old vinyl tiles and determined that it contained a large percentage of asbestos, so we would rather not have to remove them since breakage is inevitable and thatÂs how the asbestos gets released. So now weÂre looking at using vinyl planks like the Trafficmaster Allure offered at Home Depot, which we can install over the old vinyl tiles.

If youÂve used these vinyl planks, what are your thoughts on them, especially considering that we will be using them in the basement where moisture can be a concern? I know the site says that they are water resistent. However, how accurate is that? Is it only as good as the installation? Or will we run into problems even if the install is done per the specs? Are there problems with hydrostatic pressure? I know that in some parts of the basement where the concrete slab is painted (like in the furnace room), the paint has bubbled. IÂm assuming this is probably from a high water table or moisture in the air. IÂm assuming that since this is a floating floor, we shouldnÂt have many problems. However, IÂve read that people have had problems at the seams. I wonder if that is from installation problems or not letting the planks sit in the room to get acclimated to the temperature and humidity?

Thanks so much for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

There are several handyman websites run by "ruff, gruff and ready" "pros" that sing the praises of these materials in the basement. You can take them at their word.

I prefer the advice of the building scientists at Building Science Corp. who advise keeping vinyl flooring out of the basement. Unless, of course, it's atop any of the systems that provide a way for the moisture drive through the floor to be safely dissipated.

BTW, a recent Colin and Justin show used the planks to cover boring ceramic tile in a large home's lobby. The installer took two tries to get it right, so it may not be that easy to lay down.

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 5:48PM
kuschman03

If you're looking for a tile that's moisture resistant and looks amazing then I would definitely check out www.ceilume.com. I used their drop ceiling tiles in my basement and am thrilled to say the least. Moisture was a huge concern for me as well and I was assured by the Ceilume staff that these would be suitable for my basement, and they were right.

I too checked out the tiles from Home Depot and Lowes but the were so ugly I had to look for something else before deciding on them. I found Ceilume online and got their free samples which can be found here:

http://www.ceilume.com/ceilingtile_browsefreesamples.cfm

When they say Free, they mean it unlike almost all other online tile companies. There was not even a charge for shipping and they gave me a coupon good for 5% off my order. Not much but it definitely helped.

So far I am very pleased, the customer service was great, the product was inexpensive, and the tiles look like they are much more expensive then just the vinyl they are made out of. Good luck to you!

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 12:40PM
worthy
    Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 1:41PM
atinga

I used them for my gym floor. They have been great. You must be careful when joining the seams as the adhesive is not forgiving at all. Just practice on a strip or two before starting, and be slow and deliberate when laying the strips and you should be fine. My floor is 9 feet below grade and dry, so I have had no problems. If your floor is dry you should be fine as well.

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 8:17PM
More Discussions
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
upgrade R11 to R13 insulation in basement?
We are in the process of remodeling our basement. We...
Desirun2
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
charv
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
FG & Rim Joist Insulation --- HELP!!!
Help - My builder (doing a fire rebuild) wants to put...
mdln
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™