Cracks in Basement Wall & More

baddiverJuly 10, 2008

My family is considering purchasing a home that is just 2 years old. Well, we saw a crack in the basement wall and then we just received the Sellers disclosure document. In it, it states that prior to framing, the local inspector found one of the foundation walls (poured) was not straight and had 3 cracks in the interior and 2 on the exterior after backfill. It was further noted that after the initial pour that the wall was within 1/4" of plumb, concrete strength was 3000 psi, #4 horizontal rebar was installed at bottom, mid and top of wall and foundation wall had been keyed to footing with 1 1/4" wide Vee Groove.

The contractor repaired the wall using hydraulic jacks and 6"X6" timbers at 3 locations. The wall is supposedly plumb after the corrective actions and the 1/32" to 1/16" cracks were filled with epoxy.

I will be having an inspector look at it assuming I do place an offer, but I was wondering how big this issue is.

Thanks for any input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

Those hairline cracks are of no consequence if they are the result of shrinkage. A 1/4" out of plumb at the top of the wall may mean that the forms shifted during the pour, or they weren't plumb at the time. Not a concern. Or that the builder didn't complete the first floor or brace the walls before backfilling--an almost universal bad practice.

If by "local inspector", you mean the municipal building inspector, check that he was satisfied with the fix and that nothing has moved since the fix.

Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
Basement tile grout sweating
Hi Experts, We have a new house (1 year old, Hamilton,...
Joe Regular
ideas for basement?
Hoping some of you more creative people can help me...
Michael Oslosky
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™